Friday, March 18, 2011

Over the River..

..and through the woods to grandmother's house I go!

Early Saturday morning I was off to the airport to spend a few days with my mammaw and pappaw in the good ol' state of Arkansas. That same morning my mom and brother were leaving to go to the beach. It would not be a proper Jones lift off without a little frazzleness. So there was plenty of that to go around..

When I got there Saturday we headed to Perryville to visit my aunt and uncle and pappaw at the farm. He is 78 years old and drives a hour every day to go tend to his cattle but more importantly his garden. Some of my favorite memories as a kid are coming to the farm with all my cousins and riding around in his truck with the tailgate down helping him feed the cows.
Tomatoes, Garlic, Strawberries, Onions, Blueberries, Broccoli, Beets, Peppers, you name it, it is being grown.

While visiting the small town of Perryville we went and visited my mom's grandparents old house 10 minutes away in the town of Nimrod. I decided I want a house just like this! (Okay maybe not exactly, but I would like a wrap around porch).The well they had in the back of their house. A half written paper we found in one of the encyclopedias.

We also went to the cementary, where homecoming is held (family reunions) and we measured headstones. Yes, my mammaw was trying to figure out which one she wants for her and my pappaw. Oh she was making me laugh.

Later that night we attended the Perryville Fundraiser for the Volunteer Fire department. You know that scence from Sweet Home Alabama where they town comes together and there is a band, dancing, and cowboy boots. Well this was something similar to that. They had a mediocre live band, barbeque, and pie sales.

Sunday morning I headed to church with my grandparents and then went to Sunday school with my mammaw. I am now educated on how to prevent a stroke. During class they passed around information sheets, one being on stroke prevention. After church we headed to Bravos! for brunch...mmm MMM mm!

The rest of the afternoon it was yard work for me and my pappaw while mammaw relaxed inside. (She told us she does the inside work). We cleaned out the rain gutter and planted shrubs.
I am a natural in the yard!

Monday we ran errands, one of the of course to get our toes done! This time I chose a plum color. Tuesday we ran more errands and then went to Murray's Dinner Theater in the evening. When my cousins and I were young this used to be our favorite spot to go when visiting our grandparents. As we have gotten older we have realized that the buffet food is not as good as we thought it was 10 years ago. (We were frequent visitors at the buffet line, having to unbutton our pants every once in a while). Tuesday night's showing was called Branson on the Road. Usually the shows at Murray's are musicals but this time it was a singing group that are based out of Branson (obviously) and travel all around the world. They played some Elvis, old gossip hymns, and some Johnny Cash (which holds a special place in my heart). They were a hoot! There were three of them playing instruments from the big bass, to the banjo, to the fiddle. The whole Murray's crowd, except for me were singing along! I forgot to mention that the age group of Murray's audience is a little older. But I had a great time with my mammaw!

I hopped on a plane early Wednesday morning to come back home. It is always fun visiting my mammaw and pappaw. They are just as spry as ever! Now it is time to do some school work...well maybe??


And so on,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment